2009 is coming


My office room’s a mess! It’s the end of the year and I’m trying to get rid of unwanted stuff like assignment, lab report, exam paper etc. If I’ve not used them for a year, it’s supposed to go into the bin. So here I am trying everything on and hoarding the lot!It's also the time of the year when I reflect on my past year and make personal changes.

I look back …smile at the good times(i marry on this year), laugh at the unexpected(my wife accident), sigh at the bad(living together lovingly), cry for the loss (my mom passed away) and perhaps dig into the chocolate stash for an endorphin boost for the failed resolutions.(health, sick for 1 weeks because of measles) It’s nice to think about what the future holds, but I also need to take responsibility for my mistakes and implement the lessons of 2008 as I plan for 2009.

It's about practicing good stewardship of my time, resources and abilities. I will still fall short but at least I would have gained from taking responsibility rather than blaming others.

I started simple - took my vitamins diligently, thought about what I wanted in the different areas of my life - spiritual (attend Bible study), family (trying to get a baby), friends (maintain friendship with them), work (further developed myself through getting a diploma), travelling (maybe go to Phuket or Krabi or Koh Samui with my wife) (etc) and thought about how I intended to achieve them.As I look at the year we’ve had and reflect on what I hope to achieve in 2009 I think I need to add another category to the list- how I can be a better citizen.

1) Will I be complacent? (Yes)
2) Will I be active? (Noloh, ISA)
3) Will I speak up? (Noloh, ISA)
4) Will I grumble in my corner? (Yes, nothing I can do to change this bolehland)
5) Will I build up or will I tear down? (Neither here nor there)
6) Will I choose to work with others? (Yes, if political party can change our future, Looking for 916)
7) Will I walk away? (It depend if like Mahkota Cheras Access Road I will choose to walk away. How can I fight with FRU)

I truly believe that even as insignificant as we may think we are, we can be that change for we are not only responsible for what we do but what we are silent to.I look back in at how 2008 has turned out. It differs from what I thought it would be and I can learn so much from it. 2008 has been one of those years that I’ll remember - a year of change.It’s been a crazy year for Malaysia and an upside down year for most of the world. This year has definitely made many people think as it has impacted us all.
1) Natural disasters in Sichuan, China,


2) War in Georgia,


3) Terrorism in Mumbai India,

4) Political instability in Thailand,

5) Stock markets crashing around the world,


6) Bank bailouts in the United States,

7) Petrol prices,

8) Recession,

9) Bukit Antarabangsa Landslides,


10) floods,

11) royal commissions,

12) ISA arrests,

13) helicopter deals,

14) fatwas,

hijacked oil ships, debates and March 8th.

It has been quite a year!But have we learnt?I often think that even with Vision 2020, we fall short in our planning. The initial petrol hike of 70 cents a liter this year is one example. But instead of accepting the blame, we tend to pat ourselves on the back for every 10 cent reduction as the months go on. However, the mee goreng stall that increased its prices a few months back still charges the increased rate. It’s just a few cents to most Malaysians but to the poor it means not enjoying a plate of mee goreng. And no one’s doing anything about it.Last year there was a landslip on Jalan Duta which took months to clear up. This year, a landslide occurred approximately 100 meters away. A few days yet another landslide destroyed homes and lives. But instead of taking responsibility, each department is blaming someone else. One can delegate authority but one can’t delegate responsibility. (Hokkien say: Boh Lan Hut) Maybe a resolution worth considering.

So how will 2009 turn out? We’ve got a few big changes we know of and many surprises ahead I’m sure. As I reflect and clean out my closet, I wonder what our leaders are thinking of throwing out and taking responsibility for. (They still denied the impact of world deflation)
Modified from:http://standingonpointe.blogspot.com/2008/12/cleaning-out-my-closet.html